Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dyar-e-Ishq mein

dyar-e-ishq meiN apna maqaam paida kar
naya zamaana naye subah-o-shaam paida kar

Create a place for thyself in the realm of love;
Create a new age, new days and nights.

khuda agar dil-e-fitrat shanaas de tujhko
sakoot-e-laalaa-o-gul se kalaam paida kar
If god grants you a heart of nature,
Create poetry from the silence of Tulips and roses.

Uthaa naa sheesha-garan-e-farang ke ehsaaN

safaal-e-paak se meena-o-jaam paida kar
Do not take favours from the foreign glass-makers,
Create wine and glass from the your land only.
(Do not be beholden to the West’s artisans,)
(Seek thy sustenance in what thy land affords.)


mein shaakh-e-taak hun, meri ghazal hai mera samr
mere samr se mae-laala-faam paida kar
I am an small part of a broader view, My poem is my essence;
From my essence, create wine with fragrance of tulip.

(My ghazal is the essence of my life-blood)
(Create thy elixir of life out ‘of this essence.)

mera tareek ameeri nahi faqeeri hai
khudi na Baich gareebi mein naam
paida kar
My ways are not wealth but poverty,
Do not sell selfhood, creat honour in poverty.
(My way of life is poverty, not the pursuit of wealth)
(Barter not thy Selfhood; win a name in adversity)

2 comments:

Xcogitation said...

original version has safaal-e-hind
not safaal-e-pak

LivelyPakistan.com said...

Patriotic Sufi Thought provoking Ibqal poetry beautifully sung by Nusraf Fateh Ali Khan.
www.LivelyPakistan.com