Thursday, April 03, 2008

Hazrat Amiir Khusrow

I believe most of Hindi-Movie viewers have heard the song "jhooth kapat chhal keeni re, mose naina milaaiike" from movie Saathiya starring Raani Mukharji and Vivek Oberoy. And people, who likes to listen Oldies from Bollywood, might have heard "Zeehaal-e-miskeen makun ba-ranjish, bahaal-e-hizraan bechara dil hai" from movie Ghulami starring Dharmendra, Mithun, Smita Patil. Here is a piece of Info about all these.

jhooth kapat chhal keeni, re mose naina milaaiike" is a derived or modified version of "Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay" originally written by Khusrow.



Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay

Prem bhatee ka madhva pilaikay
Matvali kar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay

Gori gori bayyan, hari hari churiyan
Bayyan pakar dhar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay

Bal bal jaaon mein toray rang rajwa
Apni see kar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay

Khusrau Nijaam kay bal bal jayyiye
Mohay Suhaagan keeni ray mosay naina milaikay


English Translation :

You've taken away my looks, my identity, by just a glance.

By making me drink the wine of love-potion,
You've intoxicated me by just a glance;

My fair, delicate wrists with green bangles in them,
Have been held tightly by you with just a glance.

I give my life to you, Oh my cloth-dyer,
You've dyed me in yourself, by just a glance.

I give my whole life to you Oh, Nijam,
You've made me your bride, by just a glance.


Ab'ul Hasan Yamiin al-Diin Khusrow (1253-1325 CE), better known as Amiir Khusrow Dehlawii, Pen-name 'Khusrow' was an iconic figure in the cultural history of the Indian subcontinent. A Sufi mystic and a spiritual disciple of Nizamuddin Auliya of Delhi, and father of Qwwali(a singing style), Sitar and Tabla.



Kaahay ko biyaahi bides, ray, lakhi baabul moray,

Bhayiyon ko diye babul mehlay do-mehlay,
Hum ko diya pardes, ray, lakhi babul......

Hum to hain babul teray khoontay ki gayyan,
Jid haankay hank jaayen, ray, lakhi babul......

Hum to hain babul teray belay ki kaliyan,
Ghar ghar maangi jaayen, ray lakhi babul......

Hum to hain babul teray pinjray ki chidiyan,
Bhor bhaye ud jaayen, ray, lakhi babul......

Taaqon bhari mainay gudiyan jo chhodeen
Choota sahelin ka saath, ray lakhi babul......

Kothay talay say palakiya jo nikli,
Beeran nay khaayi pachhad, ray, lakhi babul.....

Dolee ka parda uthakar jo dekha,
Aaya piya ka des, ray, lakhi babul moray.


English Translation:

Why did you part me from yourself, dear father, why?

You’ve given houses with two stories to my brothers,
And to me, a foreign land? Why dear father, why?

We (daughters) are just cows tied to your peg,
Will move on to where ever you drive us to, dear father.

We are just flower-buds of your garden,
And are asked for, in every household, dear father.

We are just birds from your cage,
Will fly off when its dawn again, dear father.

I’ve left at home, alcoves full of dolls;
And parted from my buddies too, dear father.

When my palanquin passed beneath the terrace,
My brother fainted and fell, dear father.

As I remove the curtain from the palanquin,
I see we’ve reached the beloved’s house, dear father.


Though less famous, "Kahe Ko Byahi Bides" sung by Jagjiit Kaur with music of Khaiyyam, from movie Umrao Jaan(1981) starring Rekha, was also written by Khusrow. One more song from the same poet which is perhaps in the movie 'Bandit Queen' and can be heard in north indian wedding ceremonies as well, "Amman meray baba ko bhaijo ri - Ke saavan ayaa".



Amman meray baba ko bhaijo ri - Ke saavan ayaa
Beti tera baba to boodha ri - Ke saavan ayaa
Amman meray bhai ko bhaijo ri - Ke saavan ayaa
Beti tera bhai to baala ri - Ke saavan ayaa
Amman meray mamu ko bhaijo ri - Ke saavan ayaa
Beti tera mamu to baanka ri - Ke saavan ayaa


English Translation:

Dear Mom, send my dad across; the rainy season has come.
[Oh, dear daughter, how can I?] Your dad's too old; the rainy season has come.
Dear Mom, send my brother across; the rainy season has come.
[Oh, dear daughter, how can I?] Your brother's too young; the rainy season has come.
Dear Mom, send my uncle across; the rainy season has come.
[Oh, dear daughter, how can I?] Your uncle's too dandy; the rainy season has come.


The phrase "Zeehaal-e-miskeen" comes from a poem of Amir Khusrau. The unique thing about this poem is that it is a macaronic, written in Persian and Brij Bhasha. In the first verse, the first line is in Persian, the second in Brij Bhasha, the third in Persian again, and the fourth in Brij Bhasha. In the remaining verses, the first two lines are in Persian, the last two in Brij Bhasha. The poem showcases Amir Khusrau's mastery over both languages.



Zeehaal-e miskeen makun taghaful, duraye naina banaye batiyan;
ki taab-e hijran nadaram ay jaan, na leho kaahe lagaye chhatiyan.

Shaban-e hijran daraz chun zulf, wa roz-e waslat cho umr kotah;
Sakhi piya ko jo main na dekhun, to kaise kaatun andheri ratiyan.

Yakayak az dil do chashm-e jadoo, basad farebam baburd taskin;
Kise pari hai jo jaa sunaave, piyare pi ko hamaari batiyan.

Cho shama sozan cho zarra hairan, hamesha giryan be ishq aan meh;
Na neend naina na ang chaina, Na aap aaven na bhejen patiyan.

Bahaqq-e roz-e wisal-e dilbar, ki daad mara ghareeb Khusrau;
Sapet man ke waraaye raakhun, jo jaaye paaon piya ke khatiyan.


English Translation:

Do not overlook my misery by blandishing your eyes, and weaving tales;
My patience has over-brimmed, O sweetheart, why do you not take me to your bosom.

Long like curls in the night of separation, short like life on the day of our union;
My dear, how will I pass the dark dungeon night without your face before.

Suddenly, using a thousand tricks, the enchanting eyes robbed me of my tranquil mind;
Who would care to go and report this matter to my darling?

Tossed and bewildered, like a flickering candle, I roam about in the fire of love;
Sleepless eyes, restless body, neither comes she, nor any message.

In honour of the day I meet my beloved, who has lured me so long, O Khusrau;
I shall keep my heart suppressed, if ever I get a chance to get to her trick.


To know more about Khurow, use google or visit http://www.alif-india.com/index.html

No comments: